Area

Discover a fascinating story

Geographical position and soil and climate conditions

Legnickie Pole is located in the Silesian Lowlands in the central part of Lower Silesia, 10 km from Legnica. The area is characterized by monotonous landscape. Mildly undulating, slightly sloping in the north-west direction. This is a typical glacial landscape.

There are old crystalline formations around Mikolajowice. The forests occupy a small area and occur in the form of small scattered areas. The municipality is situated in the Wroclaw-Legnica region of thermal. The characteristic feature of the climate is high sunshine. The growing season is here the longest in the country and lasts 225 days. Winter in these areas is mild and short – about 8 weeks. The length of the summer with an average temperature of more than 15 ° C lasts about 15 weeks. West and northwest winds prevail in this area. The municipality is located in the basin of the Kaczawa river. Two rivers flow through it – Wierzbiak and Chłodnik (right tributaries of Kaczawa) and two smaller ones – Kopanina and Smug entering Koskowickie Lake. Lake Koskowickie is a water bird sanctuary. The municipality crosses the east-west section of the A-4 motorway and the important railway line of Legnica-Katowice. The advantages include direct proximity to the Legnica Airport and Legnicka Special Economic Zone.

Historical view

Fields of the Legnica Fields are inseparable from the dramatic events that took place nearby, April 9, 1241. In the vicinity of these Silesian Piasts, Prince Henry II, called the Pious, led by Polish knights, aided by volunteers from the West, struggled with the overwhelming Tatar army and fought to the last, fell in battle. The field of this battle has been preserved in history as one of the most important battle
s in the history of Poland and Europe. According to tradition, the origins of Legnicki Pola are connected with the discovery of the corpse of Henryk corpse by St. Jadwiga. To commemorate her son’s memory, she then founded a church whose altar was exactly where the prince’s headless head rested. Church care was entrusted to the Benedictines coming from the Czech Opatowice. The first laymen who settled in today’s Legnickie Pole arrived here around 1270. At the time of the Reformation Legnickie Pole passed into the hands of Protestants. The thirty-year war that devastated Silesia in the years 1618-1648 did not miss Legnicki Pola, the village was burned down by a Swedish regiment. At the beginning of the 18th century goods were severely indebted. Othmar Zinke (abbot of the Benedictine monastery in Brzewny) took advantage of the opportunity to recover the lost goods, bought them out. Legnickie Pole again passed into the hands of Benedictine (13.12.1703). In 1723 work on the construction of monastic buildings began. The work went through a twist at that pace, so that as early as 1733 they were finished. However, Benedictines did not stay long in Polish goods. As a result of the conquest of Silesia by Fryderyk II in 1741 Legnickie Pole found itself within the militaristic Prussian monarchy. Finally, the Prussian government decision of 1810 on the secularization of religious property sealed the slow procession of the monastery. Two years after the secularization of Legnickie Pole came into private hands. At the same time, however, the functions of the locality, and especially the monastic buildings, are beginning to evolve in a manner quite significant for Prussian relations. The former center of religious and mental life is transformed into a militaristic forge. In 1761 King Frederick II himself stayed here. In 1813, the famous battle of Kaczawa (the commander general von Lehmann Blücker received the title of Prince von Wahlstatt for his meritorious deeds).

Between 1828 and 1835, great royal maneuvers took place here. In 1836, it was decided to locate a newly created corps of Cadets. For the needs of the corps, the monastery buildings were expanded (the author of the project was Karol Fryderyk Schinkel). In the years 1894-1898, due to the enlargement of the Prussian army, monastic buildings were rebuilt again. The Cadet Corps was located here, in which ranks were raised among others. Paul von Hindenburg, future Field Marshal and Chancellor of Germany in 1859-1863. Due to the demilitarization of the then Germany after the Versailles treaty, the corps was transformed into a civilian educational institution. In 1933 a Nazi political school was established in Legnica. During the last war in the monumental monumental walls was located the camp of prisoners Oflag VIII f, which imprisoned French, Yugoslav and Soviet officers.

 

Between 1828 and 1835, great royal maneuvers took place here. In 1836, it was decided to locate a newly created corps of Cadets. For the needs of the corps, the monastery buildings were expanded (the author of the project was Karol Fryderyk Schinkel). In the years 1894-1898, due to the enlargement of the Prussian army, monastic buildings were rebuilt again. The Cadet Corps was located here, in which ranks were raised among others. Paul von Hindenburg, future Field Marshal and Chancellor of Germany in 1859-1863. Due to the demilitarization of the then Germany after the Versailles treaty, the corps was transformed into a civilian educational institution. In 1933 a Nazi political school was established in Legnica. During the last war in the monumental monumental walls was located the camp of prisoners Oflag VIII f, which imprisoned French, Yugoslav and Soviet officers.

Currently the church of Sts. Jadwiga is a parish church (Roman Catholic parish). In the former Church of the BVM St. The Trinity Museum (since 1960) is located in the Legnica Battle Museum. Monastic buildings, after several changes of the user, ultimately took over the Ministry of Health – there is a Social Assistance House.

Legnickie Pole is more and more visited by tourists, mainly due to the historical episode of 1241 and a magnificent historic, one of the best in the world. On the occasion of your visit to Legnica, we invite you to our restaurant for good coffee, drinks, desserts, meals, a great place to rest.

Source: Lower Silesian Internet Portal

HOTEL “DWOREK”

ul. Gniewomierska (kierunek Legnickie Pole)